Friday 27 June 2014

BHEL MIXTURE...


when i was in my 2nd or 3rd grade (1996- 97) we were living in our home town and my mom used to give me Rs. 2 every friday to buy something for me during my break. on friday one uncle comes and puts his stall outside my school and sell bhel mixture. i used to buy that mixture with the money my mom gives me. i watch him while he prepares the mixture and it is from him i learnt this recipe.
i still remember the way the vendor used to mix all the ingredients and prepares that super spicy and delicious mixture. of course this is the first recipe i learnt and prepared at very young age when i was not even 10 during my summer vacations when i was in my granny's place in bangalore.


bhel mixture is a very popular snack that we get in beaches and shopping areas. when ever i go to for shopping or to any beach i automatically stop as soon as i see bhel stalls. but one thing always worries me and stops me from buying it is how hygienic is that bhel on road side stalls is, and most of the time i don't buy it and end up preparing the mixture at home... 

TIME TAKEN: 15 MINS.  SERVES: 4

INGREDIENTS:

MASALA BHEL (PUFFED RICE)
2 ½ CUP
ROASTED DAL (BROKEN)
½ CUP
ROASTED PEANUTS
½ CUP
SEV
½ CUP
CHILI POWDER
1 TSP
SALT
TO TASTE
ONIONS (FINELY CHOPPED)
2 MEDIUM
TOMATO (FINELY CHOPPED)
1 BIG (OR MORE AS DESIRED)
FRESH CORIANDER (FINELY CHOPPED)
½ CUP
OIL OR GHEE
2 TBSPS.
LEMON JUICE
1 ½ TBSPS.

METHOD:

 Ø  In a bowl take bhel, roasted dal, roasted peanuts, sev, chili powder and salt and mix everything well.


 Ø  Just before serving add finely chopped onions, tomatoes, fresh coriander, oil or ghee and lemon juice and mix everything well together.


Serve it immediately and enjoy your super delicious snack…

SUGGESTIONS:

 ü  Add salt carefully since masala bhel already has salt in it.

 ü  Plain bhel can also be added instead of masala bhel. If using plain bhel add extra chili powder, salt and also turmeric powder. I used masala bhel since it has its own flavour in it and helps in increasing the mixture flavour.

 ü  Add onions, tomatoes, oil, lemon juice and fresh coriander just before serving. If they are added earlier wetness in onions and tomatoes will make the bhel soft and spoil the crispiness and taste of the mixture.


No comments:

Post a Comment